Intensive barista training lasting a full week-end (12 hours total), from 10am to 5pm with a lunch break from 1 to 2.
Saturday, 10 to 1:30: theory, technique and diagnostic.
- An in-depth look at coffee extraction
- What parameters affect the rate and quality of extraction, and how
- Calibrating equipment
- The steps to prepare an espresso and several manual filter coffee methods
- Tasting espresso and diagnosing brewing flaws
- Adjusting parameters to improve your coffee
- Steaming, texturing and sharing milk
Saturday, 2:30 to 5: Tasting, history and terroir
- The history of coffee since its discovery
- Growing and processing coffee
- Introduction to the terroir and roasting of coffee
- How to choose a coffee, and demystifying labels – organic, fair trade, direct trade, etc.
- Tasting via ‘cupping,’ the technique used by coffee professionals to evaluate coffee
- All day intensive practice, with a lot of tasting and calibrating, for both filter and espresso
- Calibrating of 2 or more coffees.
- How to clean and maintain your equipment